October 27, 2012

home sweet home

As many of you already know [from seeing me live, in living color :) or seeing my pictures on Facebook] I just made a flying trip to the States and back in less than 2 weeks.

 The main impetus for going to the States was to be part of the wedding celebration of a very dear friend, Paula and her (now) husband, Pete. Paula and I found each other at Messiah because of our major and mutual interests in travel, economic development and microfinance. What has held us together through college and beyond has been our shared sense of humor, love for adventures and a kindred-ness in all aspects of life. I love this girl and was thrilled to be able to share in the festivities of her wedding weekend.



The bonus of participating in the wedding was that it was in Pennsylvania, where I also know a lot of wonderful people...so I got to see many of them too! And my amazing family made the trip from other states to come and see me...triple bonus! It was also a beautifully chilly autumn week...quadruple bonus!

All in all, it was a jam-packed week of eating, talking, talking some more, eating, answering lots of awkward questions about Henry, eating more, dressing up, eating, driving around in a car, drinking and eating everything "pumpkin spice," and getting very little sleep. It was exactly what I wanted--I love spending time with people and that was all I had to do, for a whole 10 days! Although I did not have enough time with anybody, it was a great treat to catch up with each one.




As always, it is hard to jump back and forth quickly from one culture to the other. The first 3 days were a fog--I couldn't really believe I was in PA...then the last day, I didn't compute that vacation was over and I was going to be in Honduras so soon. It is a crazy feeling...and I still can't quite get over it. Part of me loved being "at home" in PA and being surrounded by so many people I love. But just as quickly, I was back in a taxi, speaking Spanish and I felt "at home" in a country I have come to know and love over the past 2 years.

love this one
My heart is continually split into little pieces, always longing to be where I am not. I guess it's partly of my own choosing but I also feel that it is where God has called me to be for now. So, I can't really decide what place to call "home" but instead carry pieces of home in my heart where ever I am. Thank you to each person who took time to see me, who paid for my coffee, who lent me a car, or just gave me a welcome back hug. I miss you. But I definitely missed Honduras too.

No comments:

Post a Comment