Living in a new culture is a continual learning process. This may seem obvious, but humor me for a minute. Just when you get lulled into a false sense of comfort like...
"hey, I kind of know what I'm doing" or
"hey, I can actually carry on an intelligent conversation," or
"hey, I recognize where this bus is going"
...well that's when you have to be really on your guard. For it is in these moments--these fleeting fragments of life that boost your confidence and give you a sense of joy--that you must prepare yourself for what is next. It is a rule of the cross-cultural learning-time continuum, that just as your self-esteem is soaring for even the briefest of moments, you are undoubtedly due for a humility-check.
Honduras has made me very humble.
This was good practice for my trip to Guatemala.
Some of you know that I had the chance to attend a conference in Guatemala, related to microfinance and training small business owners in business principles. It was through the Chalmers Center in the US, and every so often they have international conferences for church workers, NGO workers and other missionary-types. I must give a grateful shout-out to Thrive, my favorite youth group of Dillsburg BIC Church, without whom this trip would not have been possible. Their generosity enabled me and my boss here at MCM to both attend this conference. I am forever humbled by hearts of these awesome high school & middle schoolers! (<3 you guys!)
The conference was a really great experience. I had hours upon hours to practice my Spanish with people from all over central America. We would talk for hours around the dinner table and share about our work and lives in our respective places. For me, being the socialite that I am, this was probably the best part of the conference :) It also did not hurt that everyone kept telling me how good my Spanish was. This of course was very encouraging and made me very happy. Many could not believe I had only been in Honduras for 3 months.
But of course, this could not last for long. Part of the focus of the class was how to teach adults...so of course, we had to practice our techniques for teaching other adults. On the 2nd day I had to prepare a lesson with a partner (who was amazingly sweet and patient) and together we taught about 12 other people (mostly native speakers, mostly middle-aged men) a lesson about business in Spanish! I was terrified! I thought I might throw up! I didn't think I could do it.
But--it turned out ok! I led a "dinamica" or game at the beginning of our lesson...was able to talk through most of what I wanted to say with ease and even confidently fielded some spontaneous commentary from the audience. It was terrifying...but I made it through. I wasn't sure if I could do it successfully, but I know now my Spanish is better for it. During the feedback time, one man did feel the need to suggest that I work on my Spanish...so you know, the victories are short-lived :) But I did have many friends at the conference reaffirm how well I did and that this man was out of line for saying that to me.
I have learned a lot about humility and not taking my Spanish-self too seriously. But the good thing is, through all of these experiences I am stretched...
...Stretched to get outside myself and just do what needs to be done, without taking time to worry about what might happen
...Stretched to try new things and meet new people who I might otherwise never have encountered
...Stretched to discover what happens when I stop trying to get it all right and just see what God does with what I have to offer.
It's kind of like when you sit in a bus for 15 hours and your muscles are so tight...it feels so refreshing to stretch and move around. I'm still in the stretching process...still learning to allow myself to be stretched frequently...and still trying to be thankful for the opportunity to stretch every now and then...or maybe every day in my case!
I am thankful for the learning I was able to participate in at the conference in Guatemala; thankful for safety on the long trip there and back; and thankful for a God who gives me the stuff, whatever that stuff is, that makes it possible to stretch.
No comments:
Post a Comment