While the climate here does not tell me it is Thanksgiving, nor is there any kind of black Friday here in Honduras, I am reminded of how much I have to be thankful for in this wonderful season of life. Yesterday was a pretty ordinary day, no turkey, no football, no family get together [ :( ] but it was still good...and I think its a great thing to reflect on how much I have to be thankful for each day.
As I write this post, I'm sitting in a hammock, looking out over the rolling green mountains of Copan (I know, its a little ridiculous, and yes I wanted to make you a tad bit jealous as you are eating your leftover turkey and stuffing!!)
So lets start with the most immediate things I'm thankful for... (in no particular order :)
-- a relaxing few day of vacation with one of my best friends who took the time and energy to come and visit me right here in Honduras! You don't find friends like Harmony just any day of the year, and I'm so grateful God put her in my life 4 years ago when I really needed her :)
-- a great host family in Nueva Suyapa and the richness they bring to my Honduran life.
--for friends who are celebrating birthdays today, and another year of life, both near (Johanna, MCC friend) and far (Becky B. in Colorado who I miss dearly!)
--for a wonderful family who loves me so much and will even bend over backwards to do special things for me...like send care packages and buy expensive plane tickets to make sure their daughter isn't too homesick over Christmas. I couldn't ask for better parents. love you so much.
-- for 2 sisters and a brother-in-law who mean more to me than most anything in the world :)
-- for health and safety thus far in the journey
-- for 2 great gringa friends who are always willing to share in the most ridiculous of Honduran moments and the tough ones too. I could not make it through the week without knowing they are only a text or call away!
--for the guy who takes the time to get to know me, across the miles, despite the terrible internet fiascos and my work-in-progress espanol
--for a network of MCCers in Honduras who are so fun to be with and truly care for me and my well-being.
--for a little computer that keeps me connected to the important people in my life
As I sat in a roof-top cafe last night with Harmony we were reflecting how different life was only 1 year ago at this time...at Thanksgiving last year there were so many things different about my life...so many friends who weren't even engaged and are now planning weddings, others who weren't even pregnant and now have a new little person in their family...it blows me away to think of how many people in my life I didn't even know a year ago...nor did I have any inkling I would be spending Thankgiving and Christmas of 2010 in Honduras! Its so fun to think back on what I didn't know then...and it makes me so excited to think about what I don't even know will be in my life next year at this time.
Thankful for a God who holds it all together in his hands, the good and the bad...the beautiful and the imperfect, the knowable and the unknown...what a great blessing to be one little person in his giant picture.
Happy Thankfulness reflecting to all of you.
Love and hugs!
No comments:
Post a Comment