A flood of thoughts rippled through my mind, as if I was floating in a canoe down a river of memories from the last 10 years. Would I give myself more work and career advice? Would I focus on relationships? Should I warn myself about mistakes that, if given the chance, would be convenient to "undo." The list was unending, the memories rich and vivid.
I thought how perfect it would be, now on the near-eve of my birthday, to look back 10 years and think about what I would have liked to know when I was a dorky, 17 year old girl in the midst of a stressful senior year, weighing the decisions of which college to attend.
I could tell her that Messiah was a great experience, that it was definitely a good fit for her and she will make some really awesome friendships that will last a long time.
I could tell her that life DOES get better than high school. It gets a lot better than getting turned down for prom, or not being athletic, or not getting a role in her senior musical.
I could tell her that all her fears about going to Spain and all the tears she cried are not even worth worrying about because it is one of the best decisions she ever made.
Or maybe warn of some pitfalls with those guys who shall remain nameless. Or tell her that she really will cross paths with someone special that loves her for who she is.
Maybe it would be good to tell her about all the really fun stuff that she has to look forward to,
the sights she will see, people that will shape her in measureless ways.
Then I stopped to think about this cumbersome list. I realized that that 17 year old girl desperately wanted someone to tell her all of that. She needed to know what the path ahead looked like, where it was going to twist and turn. She had to figure out where she would fall down, and who was going to be there to dust her off.
But life doesn't work that way.
And I'm actually thankful for that!
I realized that all of these "warnings" were moments where I had to take a step of faith. I had to make choices and live with my decisions. These were the moments that shaped me and made me the person I am. You can't go back and "re-do" it because there is a strength gained from the fear and trepidation that accompanies each new step of the journey. It's what we draw on when it is time for the next step.
As much as I think I could fill a whole notebook with advice for my darling 17 year old "carisita"...I can't!
And this is a powerful realization--because it gives me courage to tell the 27 year old me to not be so afraid of the next steps. The path is unknown, and you can't see around the next curve--but that is just the moment where it starts to get interesting!
Wonderful . . .powerful . . . perfect!
ReplyDeleteHi there, Charissa. Thanks for responding to my post with a post of your own. Fun! I understand the concept of not wanting to know what happens next for the adventure of it as well as for the practice of stepping out in faith. I agree with you there. I think the main emphasis I wanted to portray with my letter to myself was the value of the wisdom from those who have gone before. In my life I have had a propensity to try and reinvent the wheel, so to speak, and in some ways that wasn't always necessary or even helpful. So if I can influence and help some people who might be facing the same things I was 12 years ago then I am happy. The proverbs encourage us to pursue wisdom and knowledge, and I guess that was kinda the main reason I wrote it out. I share your thrill of the unknown and surprises, to an extent. It also might be a difference of personality, as well. My personality thrives on planning, preparation, valuing tradition, and seeking to respond in a well thought out manner. I envy people who can act intuitively and quickly and without fear of regrets. That spontaneity and love of all things new is something I really admire in others. Thanks again for sharing the link so that we could engage in a little bit of a conversation. So fun! Sigue adelante, hermanita querida. :)
ReplyDeleteCharissa, I have not been a faithful follower of your blog for awhile, and I see that I have been missing out! I will be checking in more often from now on. I really appreciate your posts :) And I miss you! Chris and I are so happy for you and Henry!!!
ReplyDelete