October 1, 2011

adventures in tiny cooking

As you saw from my previous post, my kitchen is nothing if not grand and imposing. Also, it is fully stocked with any kind of kitchen implement one could want...
Well--almost.
Let's just say, my tiny apartment in New Cumberland, PA and hand-me-down kitchen was great preparation for living solo in Honduras.

Since I finally started feeling like eating real food again in the last few days, I decided to see what could be done with what I've got.

Meal 1: Pancakes!
A simple meal, you are probably thinking. And you are right...it's nothing worthy of a Food Network show...
but let me remind you, I made all of this happen
without measuring cups, a flipper (plastic, metal, or otherwise)
and using a burner that I could take camping.


You know, an amateur start...but I felt pretty good about it.

Then last night I was on my way back from aerobics class (which, almost rendered my legs useless) and was craving something more substantial. Since I had been to the grocery store and stocked up on veggies, I threw caution to the wind and...

Meal 2 = Pizza!
This was a more impressive feat than the first. I made half of my mom's pizza dough recipe and even used yeast! Then I decked it out with all kinds of veggies and baked it in my toaster oven.
Pretty excited about how this turned out.


The only thing that could have made it better would be some shredded mozzarella, but since super Target is not just down the street, you take what you get :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try again. My spelling was off on the last post. It's great to see your pics in your new home. Love the pizza. Looking forward to more great news!

    ReplyDelete