Hello friends and family. I know you have been waiting with bated breath for a blog update from yours truly...I apologize for keeping you waiting so long. The past few weeks have been a lot of transition, living out of suitcases and moving all around (well, also, standing very still while fighting some gross illness...). Here is the quick run down:
Sept 5: left Orrville, OH for San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Arrived about 1130 am and was welcomed by my MCC Reps. Spent the next few days sweating it out in San Pedro til it was time to go to Teguc!
Sept 7-11: MCC team meeting in my beloved former home of Tegucigalpa...where the air is cooler, the sun is not so harsh, the birds chirp pleasantly, well, you can tell where my loyalties lie ;)
Sept 12-20ish: Spent a week in Nueva Suyapa, visiting my host family, former co-workers, hanging out with friends and generally enjoying the familiarity of life there. Had the chance to attend my very first futbol (soccer) game in the national stadium w the fam! what fun.
On Friday I started feeling rather sick and proceeded to be down for the count (with all the other mcc-ers) for the next 3 days.
So, even though I was supposed to be in Santa Rosa de Copan on Monday, I didnt get here til Wednesday. But, all was well. My boss was very laid back about the whole thing.
And here I am in my new hometown, blogging for the first from an internet cafe in Santa Rosa de Copan! Its a rather strange feeling, being here, living on my own and figuring it out all over again.
I will be posting pictures soon of where I am living, but so far its great. I rent a small apartment (with my own kitchen and bathroom) from a very friendly lady who rents rooms to lots of university and high school students who come to the big city to study. It was much nicer than I could have imagined, and it seems like I will have the benefit of still being close to a family while having my own privacy too.
Oh, and I havent even told you about my first day of work yesterday. It was crazy. We (my one coworker) and I rode the moto for about 45 minutes outside of the city. We parked it. Then proceeded to hike for another hour straight up and straight down til we got to the community meeting.
Oh. my. word. I was not sure I was going to make it. I would also like to point out that this was after he warned me it would be "10 or 15 minutes" of walking the day before. Yeah. Awesome.
So after a 2.5 hour meeting with the women of Aguasarcas and my coworker making lots of promises about how i was going to impart all this business knowledge to them, we walked back to where the moto was. Thankfully it was a little less "up" on the way back. We still had another meeting at the house where we parked, so didnt return to the city til about 230. I promptly went home, showered and slept for 2 hours! It was exhausting.
Unfortunately I dont have more to tell you about work yet. It seems my stomach illness from last week made a comeback this morning, so I took the day off. I feel badly about it, but just cant hike to wherever without knowing there is a bathroom nearby.
So, at risk of boring you anymore, I will wrap this up. I would appreciate prayers for improved health and also as I settle in to living on my own in a strange new place. And that this city girl could quickly adapt to life in the country :)
Pictures coming soon of where I live!
love
c
I was waiting with bated breath. Obviously.
ReplyDelete