September 21, 2010

family fun...

So most of my weekend was spent at my house, hanging out with the family. We have a lot of fun together, as I make ridiculous mistakes in Spanish, then they try to learn English from movies on TV, and we all get frustrated with the 3 year old terror who rules the house.

For one thing, last week, some supermarket thought it would be a good idea to give live chicks to small children...probably in honor of "dia de los niños" or children's day. So, Joshua brought home 2 chicks to live in our house. Not only are they continually chirping and jumping out of their box, but one looks like its dying, and is whimpering in the corner. On day 2 of the chicken adventure, chicken little (with a gimpy foot) looked about dead, while chicken grande looked like his fuzz was starting to be shed for real feathers. By day 3, chicken little was running around like he'd been given a new lease on life. Much to our surprise, by day 4, chicken grande was found dead in the box! No one saw that coming...I suggested fried chicken for lunch, but no one made that happen.


So, we still have chicken little running around (Joshua wont name him...he just calls him pollito, which literally means little chicken). This thing chirps at 6am...all through the day...gets out of his box to join us in the living room when we are all watching TV...pecks your toes, crawls up my host mom's pant-leg...really, an endless bundle of joy and entertainment. I asked when they thought he would die...I guess they are catching on that I don't like that it wakes me up every morning with its pitiful cries for attention :)

Our other family fun was our weekend field trip to the mall multiplaza. I hadn't been there yet, and they were very excited for me to see their mall. It was rather impressive, and we had fun doing some shopping and eating Little Caesar's pizza together. Being that I live with 2 guys who can eat you out of house and home, one pizza was not sufficient. They also ordered Burger King combos and ice cream cones...but we had a good time getting out of the house and enjoying some time in the land of materialism together.

Sunday nights are a pretty big deal in my house too. Their favorite show, La Academia, is on and starting this week "Bailando por un sueño." The first is like Mexico's version of American Idol, except everyone is in a music school, so they dont go through the ridiculous audition process that Americans love to hate. The second show is Dancing with the Stars, Honduras-style. The catch is, La Academia only comes in clear on one tv in Kati's bedroom...so, we all pile in there on the bunk beds to watch together. All 6 of us, actually. Its quite cozy, and very entertaining to watch the boys sing along to all the songs, and decide which girls are the hottest and therefore deserve to stay another week ;)

In other news, the Colts were on ESPN for Sunday Night football...and being the great country that it is, the game is available in Honduras! It was pretty exciting. Especially cuz Peyton beat the pants off of his little brother, Eli. I am also trying to teach Josue, my host brother more about american football. He is a pretty big sports nut, so we frequently bond over our plates of bean and tortillas while watching ESPN. Oh, I should also mention hes a Yankees fan. I've tried to change his mind, but he likes them a lot.

There is so much more I could tell you about my time here...how much I'm learning about cultural differences and immigration issues and family dynamics...but maybe i'll save that for another more serious post ;) Oh, and I'll also try to get more photos of the family, too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the very informative blog! It is great to hear about your living adventures. What is the bowl of 'fruit?' in the pictures?

    ReplyDelete