I am finally in Honduras...well, I have been for about 5 days, but this is the first chance I`ve had to blog.
August 12-19 I was in Akron for training with MCC and everyone else in the SALT, YAMEN & IVEP programs. We had a lot of fun getting to know each other and helping each other learn about new cultures. I had lots of opportunities to start using my spanish as the latin american group always hung out together. The only thing that was frustrating was that I had just said goodbye to all of my other friends, then spent 1 week trying to make new friends, only to leave all of them for a year too!However, there are 5 of us that traveled together from Akron to Honduras. 3 of us will be in Tegucigalpa and the other 2 will be in different cities. Noel is from Bolivia, Johanna is from Colombia, Elise is from the US and Alison is from Canada. They are all wonderful friends and we are getting to know each other very well. They all enjoy Dutch Blitz A LOT so its a good thing I brought my cards along (Johanna says "blips" instead of "blitz" when she wins, cuz its a tricky word...so we are petitioning to change the name of the game!).
When our first plane took off from Harrisburg at 6am on Thursday, I was just glad to be in the air. I did not start to get nervous until we could see the city of San Pedro Sula about 10 hours later :) However, all went well, and Amy and Andres (MCC Honduras Reps) were waiting for us at the airport, with a beautiful welcome sign designed by their daughters. They have been taking good care of us, and we have enjoyed their leadership immensely.
After 1 day in San Pedro, we went to the countryside to the Finca Diakonia (a farm) where another MCC family lives. This is where we had most of our orientation meetings, as well as some recreational activities...like...climbing a tree with a harness and hanging in a hammock 60ish feet above ground...only a few scrapes and bruises to show for it too ;)
On Sunday we returned to San Pedro Sula for church, then took a bus to Copan Ruinas about 3 hours away. We are now here in Copan for about 10 days of language school. Each of us lives with a different host family, but we come to school every morning at 8 for 1 on 1 tutoring. It is intense, and makes me very tired, but I know its good for me. To get even more practice, I´m trying to read books in Spanish too...really tough ones, like Nancy Drew!
We are excited to do some touristy things here in Copan. Today is a museum and possible bird park excursion...tomorrow is hot springs...saturday is the Mayan ruins. Yep, we are working hard :)
Thanks for all the emails, fb posts and prayers. I wish I had time to write each one of you, but computer time is limited. Continue to pray for safety as we travel a lot, and because the bigger cities can be dangerous.
I am anxious to be in my new home so i can unpack a bit, but I also want to fully enjoy the time I have with my friends. Espero que todo vaya bien con ustedes. Hasta luego!
oh dear one! It sounds like you're having a blast! I can't believe you are reading Nancy Drew in Spanish....I loved those books growing up! Have fun with that. I am still thinking of you, praying for you, and missing you lots. Let's have a skype date soon! Love, Harmony
ReplyDelete